Brentwood Secondary College is a vibrant learning community where all students are supported and encouraged to achieve success and to pursue excellence.
All students at Brentwood Secondary College are encouraged to set learning goals, to be reflective and to do their personal best. The school day is divided into four 75 minute periods. The year 7-10 curriculum is centred upon the Victorian Curriculum. For more information about the Victorian Curriculum please visit Victorian Curriculum F-10
Students can elect to participate in the Instrumental Music program which provides students with the opportunity to learn an instrument and to perform in an ensemble.
Students entering Brentwood Secondary College at Year 7 have the opportunity to apply for a place in the Curriculum Enrichment Program. The program is offered to Year 7 students who demonstrate academic skills above those of their peer group.
In Years 8 and 9, students undertake a core curriculum and access an increasingly broad range of units of study that are organised on an elective basis.
In Years 9 and 10 students are encouraged to experience a wide range of subjects. Providing students with the opportunity to discover a passion is a guiding philosophy at year 9. Senior school is an opportunity to specialise and for students to narrow their focus to specific areas of interest in their study of the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE).
Brentwood Secondary College Enrichment Program 2021
Students entering Brentwood Secondary College at Year 7 in 2021 have the opportunity to apply for a place in the Curriculum Enrichment Program. This program is offered to year 7 students who demonstrate academic skills above those of their peer group. Year 7 students in the program undertake the same core subjects as the rest of the year level, in addition to further enrichment and in-depth studies of the curriculum. There is a greater emphasis on higher order thinking skills, as well as independent learning and research. Students in the enrichment program will also be expected to engage in extension activities through academic competitions, excursions and school-based activities. Participation in the program is dependent on students continuing to satisfy criteria reflecting the college values for learning and community.
The enrichment program will:
- accelerate the pace of learning in all subjects and add a broader range of enriching experiences
- allow for the potential to accelerate by a whole year level in Mathematics – year 10 content completed by the end of year 9
- implement programs that are consistent with the Victorian Curriculum
- eliminate repetition
- limit practice of already mastered skills
- ensure higher order thinking is an integral process in student learning
- make provision for in-depth study
- be culturally inclusive, and affirm students’ cultural and linguistic backgrounds
- include provision for the continuation of appropriate EAL and other support, where required
- ensure that accelerated learning leaves no significant gaps in a student’s knowledge, skills, behaviours and understandings.
Two dedicated classes comprise students who have been selected for the enrichment program, one studies German language and the other Japanese language. The program runs as a dedicated ASPIRE group for the same group of students for three years. Students will be expected to study language until at least the end of year 9.
Entry into the Enrichment Program at Year 7 for 2022
Transition to VCE
Students transitioning from the Curriculum Enrichment Program at the end of year 9 into senior school may be offered the opportunity to undertake two VCE studies in year 10.